ACONITE, BLACK TULIP AND MIRAGE

To: MGDIGEST <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: ACONITE, BLACK TULIP AND MIRAGE
From: David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:26:00 +0100
I've just signed on and was fascinated by the variety of messages.
Greetings from one Octophile to all the rest of you! I was interested in
the discourse about Aconite and Black Tulip colours, and the mention of
Mirage. I remember all these 1970's colours well from the days when they
were new and seen on the streets of London. In my capacity as a typical
car mad youth I hung around UK car showrooms and the London Motorshow
and drooled over brochures, car magazines and the cars themselves. Black
Tulip predates Aconite, the latter being more of a `hip' colour, being a
little lighter and bolder. Black Tulip is a deep and quite restrained
purple, like blueberry pie filling and, in a certain light, could be
mistaken for Navy (the lady across the road from my parents had an
Austin 1100 in Black Tulip) whereas Aconite is very definitely purple
(and an acquired taste). As for the rare Mirage, that was a misty light
grey with a violet tinge, which always reminds me of used chewing gum.