Re: midget runs, then dies mgs@autox.team.net

To: "David E. Brown" <debrown@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: midget runs, then dies mgs@autox.team.net
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:09:02 -0400
David E. Brown wrote:
> I have a 77 Midget 1500 with an unusual problem.  When you start it up,
> all seems well. Drive it away and within a block or two it starts its
> dying/restarting cycle, that is, the tach falls to nothing and the
> engine dies.

  Do you have the original (crappy) electronic Ignition? LUCAS EID? Or
the later and acceptable LUCAS CEI?

  I'd check all the obvious things first, but that is similar to
how my car behaved with the original distributor. The car would
just sometimes not start for no reason not even close. The
tach would be still, which is a hint. Then after looking around
and finding nothing, it would start instantly.

  I replaced mine with a pertronix, and has been perfect since. But
check the easy things first like bad wires, corrosion, etc.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada