Re: MGA Wheels

To: jbit@erols.com
Subject: Re: MGA Wheels
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 09:47:17 -0500
On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 22:32:01 -0400 John Bittner <jbit@erols.com> writes:
>First of all, thanks to all of you who responded to my query about MGA
>instrument panels.
>
>I am looking at a buying a restored '58 MGA.  It's a beautiful car . .
>.
>but . . . it has steel wheels and I really like wires.  What are my
>options?  Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

If you really have to have wires, the best thing is to find a car that
already has them.  Changing over includes finding a rear axle off a wire
wheel car and replacing the front hubs, not to mention buying the wheels.
 Not only is this expensive, but it is time consuming and can result in
problems, particularly if the rear axle you get is not in the best of
shape.

Another alternative is to buy "bolt-on" wires from Moss or British Wire
Wheels.  I haven't looked at prices recently, but I think they are in the
range of $1200 to $1500 for a set.  The knock-offs are fake, which means
that you will avoid spline problems but not spoke and trueness problems.

I have a disc wheel car and I love the look of wires.  But after hearing
all the horror stories about maintaining them, I suddenly realized that
when I sit in the car I can't see what kind of wheels I have!  When I get
a hankering for wires (or wars as they are known here) I just sit in the
car and pretend.

Which reminds me, why do Tr***mph drivers have windshield wipers on the
_inside_ of the windscreen?  Because when they drive they go
PHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTT!  (Works better in person when one can perform a
labial fricative to illustrate the point).  :-)

David Littlefield
Houston, TX