Re: Chrome Report and TD Handle Question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Chrome Report and TD Handle Question
From: Mark Moburg <markmoburg@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 13:06:16 -0400 (EDT)
At 01:11 PM 7/26/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Several people were interested in the chrome shop I was going to. I just got
>my first order back and I am very pleased with the results. They removed
several
>dents from my headlight rims and made my rusty seat back brackets look like
new.
>Unfortunately, they can't plate pot-metal/diecast. Evidently that is what
the TD
>door and hood handles are made of. What is in pot-metal anyway?

====REPLY====

Generally an alloy.  British pot metal was also known as MAZAK, an acronym
for magnesium, aluminum (sorry, aluminium!), chrome and zinc.  Being very
soft, my understanding is it doesn't take well to the heat and ungodly
chemicals required to strip the old chrome, nickel, and copper before replating.

Mark Moburg
MarkMoburg@mindspring.com
New York, New York