Quiz

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Quiz
From: gallianp@onyx.xtalwind.net (Paul Gallian)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 15:15:48 -0500
The following is Quiz taken from a magazine (Auto Speed and Sports January 1953)
Answer given upon request.
If you are unhappy with the length of this post then please use the delete key.

~~~~~
(the calling) thread is real heavy stuff and I miss  cats or even
(battery/concrete) threads. I hope the following quiz will lighten the
contend of the list.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sports Car Quiz

by Whit Harris

EVERY MEMBER of the male species feels deep inside that he is an
outstanding judge of fine wines, beautiful women and foreign cars. While we
can't very well dispute your ability with the grog and the dolls, we have
prepared ten provocative questions to test your skill on the mechanical
beauties. Anyone answering all ten correctly is entitled to the cum laude
cluster. If you miss three or less you're high in the spectator class. A
miss of four or more designates you as strictly from Detroit.

1. You are all acquainted with the beautiful little MG-TD. Then you should
certainly know that acceleration from 0-60 through the gears is
approximately
a. 20 sec.      c. 18 sec.
b. 24 sec.      d. 1l sec.

The new, fast Singer Sports is called "l500." This designation represents

a. Cubic centimeter  displacement
 b. Curb weight
 c. Rpm @ 30    mph
 d. Piston speed at max. bhp

3. The Rolls Royce "factory" model is called the "Silver Dawn." This
particular version of the "best car in the world" delivers for
approximately
a. $ 8,500      c. $15,000
b. $20,000      d. $10,000

4. If you read Auto's road test of the graceful Alvis three-liter, then you
know that the wheelbase is exactly

a. 120 in      c. 96% in.

b. 111.5 in.     d. 108 in.

5. The horsepower rating on the flexible, smart Austin Sports is actually
a. 40         c. 63
b.  50        d. 42

6. The 1953 Morris Minor will come with a new 30 hp overhead valve engine
manufactured by the British Motor Corp. This means, of course, that it will
actually be a
a. Standard     c. Rover
b. Ford       d. Austin

7. The nimble Morgan Plus 4 goes so well because it weighs a mere
a. 1680 Ibs.     c. 1950 Ibs.
b. I460 lbs.     d. 2ll0 lbs.

8. There isn't one of us who wouldn't trade his wife for a luscious Lancia.
This fantastic performer is a
a. In-line 6     c. V-6
b. V-8        d. Flat 4

9. The miraculous Mercedes 300 S-series credits its performance in no small
part to its
a. Overhead valves  c. Dual overhead
b. F-head        camshafts
d. Single overhead camshaft

10. . Spain's first postwar venture into the automotive field resulted in
the superlative Pegaso. This jewel is, in the main, designed by one of the
greats from

a. Ferrari          c. B.M.W.
b. Alfa Romeo   d. Talbot

 "Remember even a kick in the caboose is a step forward."
                               -- Texas Bix Bender

1952- MG-TD
Paul Gallian
gallianp@onyx.xtalwind.net