Re: The Calling and alcohol

To: atravis@spacey.net
Subject: Re: The Calling and alcohol
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 22:29:12 EDT

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 12:51:18 -0700 Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
writes:
>Steve Miller wrote:
>>
>> While discussing the future of petroleum as a diminishing resource
>as
>> well as a source of pollution no one has mentioned ethanol. I've
>heard it
>> is a standard fuel in Brazil. Does anybody know anything about using
>it
>> as a motor fuel? It is already a component in California gas and
>since it
>> can be made by fermentation of most carbohydrates it should never
>run
>> out. Any comments?
>
>IMO, alcohol is the way to go. Electric just moves the polution from
>the
>autos to the coal or nuke energy plants. Plus most batteries are a
>very
>toxic pollutant in themselves. Find a California fireman to tell you
>about their hazmat training for electric car accidents, it's not
>pretty.
>
>Alcohol has been tried and proven in drag racing and military
>applications. We can make it ourselves, without being dependant on
>OPEC
>or other third world weirdo's. YOU could make your own fuel, wouldn't
>that be neat! Put our farmers back in business too. "Buy DeKalb Fuel".
>I could go on, this is one of my 'personal' topics, if anyones
>interested.....
>
>-Aron-
>"in a frenzy"

And another "plus" is the relatively minor modifications needed to run
Alky.
 Once in my mispent youth, I was at the shop of a friend who drag raced
Harleys and we got to talking about his choice of fuel - alcohol - and
its application to street bikes.
 He said (I thought rashly) he could convert my Sportster to run alcohol
in about 10 minutes.  "Prove it" says I, just as smugly.
  Well, the carb I had on the bike had an adjustable main jet.  He reset
it, re adjusted the timing slightly, and drained my tank, put in about a
gallon of alky, and said try it.
 WHEEE, Doggies !!!
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT