Re: FW: TD overheating

To: g.gable@csu-e.csuohio.edu
Subject: Re: FW: TD overheating
From: ewsinc@blazenet.net (Charlie Baldwin)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 22:51:04 -0400
Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> [BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net:    Non-member submission from ["g.gable"
><g.gable@csu-e.csuohio.edu>]]
>
>      Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 15:19:04 -0400
>      From: "g.gable" <g.gable@csu-e.csuohio.edu>
>      Subject: TD overheating
>
> In the past year I rebuilt the engine for my 52 TD. Until recently it has
> only been on the road for short trips.  This past weekend we went a little
> further and of course it is a lot hotter outside.  The temp gage shot up to
> over a 100C. the thermostat is new and rated at 83C. The water pump was
> rebuilt with the engine. I was going to pull the thermostat and let the
> water/coolant run free but was cautioned the thermostat helps build up
> pressure which keeps the circulation going.  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> Gerry Gable
> g.gable@popmail.csuohio.edu

Gerry,

I went through this a couple of years ago with mine. You don't mention
the status of the radiator; was it cleaned out, rodded to make sure
there are no obstructions? Make sure the timing is correct. Retarded
timing could contribute to the problem. Also, on the XPAG engine there
are two small (3/16") holes in the water jacket that somehow help the
flow of the coolant through the engine that many times become clogged
and are overlooked in a rebuild. They are located behind the freeze
plugs under the carbs (you must remove the plugs to access them). This
was addressed many years ago in a tech article in TSO and is very
obscure information. Chip Old can most likely shed some more light on
this.

Charlie
'52 TD, '60 MGA, '66 MGB