Re: Main bearing problem

To: Larry Dickstein <bugide@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Main bearing problem
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 08:13:04 -0500

> On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 10:48:18 -0400 (EDT) John Middlesworth
> <jape@email.unc.edu> writes:
> >I should add to my previous post that the bearings themselves are
> >marked
> >"std" so it's not a question of them being in the wrong box.  Also, I
>
> >cleaned off the surface where the bearings sit pretty well, so I
> don't
> >think a film of oil or some residual dirt is to blame.
> >
> >Perhaps a shop should mic the bearings for thickness.  If, so is
> there
> >figure available on how thick the standard bearings should be?
> >
> >John Middlesworth

   Don't know if this was mentioned, but try retorquing the main caps in
steps (say 10->20->30...) rather than applying full torque to each one.
It seems that torquing each in turn induces minor warping. I believe
there was a thread on this very problem about 6-8 months ago, and it
seemed that individual solved their problem this way. Check the
archives...

Also, you will experience what is know as 'sticktion', which is
basically when the crank is at rest, the oil on the bearings creates
increased friction until it is turning whereupon the resistance to turn
is decreased.

Good luck

Jeff