Re: Twin Cam MGB?

To: "David Knowles" <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>, "MGDIGEST" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Twin Cam MGB?
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 12:12:29 -0400
> There have in fact been some twin-cam MGB's built in the UK, but these
> do not use the `B' series block. First, a bit of background: as you may
> know, the MGB was originally to have received the `O' series engine,
> which shared many basic internal dimensions with the `B' series
> (designed to use much of the same production machinery). Launch should
> have been in 1981/2, with fuel injection for US versions and either
> twin-SUs or turbocharged induction for other markets. Of course the `O'
> series MGB never happened (the engine was also intended for a facelifted
> TR7) but the engine was used by BL in other cars not sold in the
> 'States. The Rover SD1 2000 used a twin carb in-line rear 2.0 litre `O'
> series, whilst the MG Maestro and MG Montego used the 2.0 litre in
> transverse front wheel drive guise, with turbo-charging optional. I
> drove an early MG Montego Turbo and it was an ANIMAL.

Correct, I do remember hereing a few things about the Oseries engine being
put into limited/random cars from 77 or so on to 80.  But I also am pretty
sure that what Bruce Durgin had said about a 62 MGB twincam, is true...I
have also heard that.  It isn't an MGB engine it is a leftover 1622
w/twincam head, and I don't know if it is a MGA gearbox or not.

> At the end of this lengthy discourse, I think the answer is (what was
> the question?) - either to use normal tuning (heads, carbs etc.) of the
> normal B series (with an enlarged capacity if possible) if legislation
> permits or throw away the 'B' series and slot in a Buick/Rover V8. Those
> will be far more effective ways to blow Miatas into the weeds.

I don't want to blow Miatas into the weeds, I was just wandering what
peoples opinions were if they could purchase an MGB twincam head, and what
complications might come about.  I just think it would be a neat thing to
do because of the "coo" factor and it would still have an all MG
heritage...

KMR

Kai M. Radicke -- mowogmg@pil.net @ 1966 MGB -- http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg

Dialogue Internet -- Intelligent Internet Solutions

"Introducing the NEW Lucas Vacuum Sweeper...
...If it is made by Lucas you know is Sucks!"