Re: alcohol & hydrogen

To: Len Bugel <bugel@bianca.sms.k12.vt.us>, Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: alcohol & hydrogen
From: Gregory Kirk <gkirk@empirenet.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 16:28:59 -0700
One of the major advantages to an electric, or hydorgen powered vehicle, is
that it is much more econimically feasible to put very stringent polution
controls on large emmiters, vs putting the same level of pollution
reduction on smaller emmiters (e.g. autos), also, since in the above cases
the actula source of power is stationalry, weight and bulk of the emission
scontrol systems are nearly irrelevan, whereas on a gasoline powered car,
those same issues are very important.

just some thoughts

Greg

At 04:17 PM 8/1/97 -0400, Len Bugel wrote:
>Two folks have mentioned hydrogen fuel, and seawater as a source. You
>should all realize that it takes exactly as much energy to take water
>apart into hydrogen and oxygen as you get back when you burn the hydrogen
>in your vehicle. In other words, hydrogen is not an energy source - only a
>means to temporarily store energy, making it transportable. Gasoline is
>stored solar energy from millions of years ago. Ethanol is stored energy
>from recently. To produce large quantities of hydrogen fuel, one would use
>electrical power, from nucs, coal burning plants, hydro plants, solar
>arrays and so forth. So hydrogen can be just as good or bad
>(environmentally and economically) as the source of electricity used to
>produce it. The same comments apply to electric cars, of course.
>
>Len Bugel
>'51 TD
>'57 MGA

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
 I have spread my dreams under your feet;
 Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
                                  Yeats