Re: More Brake Bleeding

To: saschris@flash.net
Subject: Re: More Brake Bleeding
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 21:54:05 EDT

On Fri, 01 Aug 1997 23:22:36 -0400 "Christopher M. Delling"
<saschris@flash.net> writes:
>I just picked up a replacement master cylinder from a local source.  I
>have never replaced a M/C before.  It came with a bleed kit to bleed
>the
>master cylinder?  I haven't heard of this, and can't find mention of
>it
>in my Haynes manual.  Can anyone offer information on this.  I cannot
>believe that it takes the place of bleeding each wheel cylinder
>circuit.  Do I need to bleed at the master cylinder?  Should this be
>done before or after bleeding the wheel circuits?
>
>Regards,
>
>Chris Delling

Chris,
  Yes, you need to bleed the MC before installing it.  It's a lot easier
to get all the air out of the MC on the bench, than in the car.
 Bleed the MC on the bench by clamping it into a vise (carefully, so as
not to crush), and then using the tubes supplied, attach then to each of
the brake lines and run into the MC reservoir, making sure they are
submerged. Using  the correct size punch or bar, slowly press the MC
piston in and release, continuing until all the air is purged from the
MC. Recap the reservoir and seal off the temporary lines, either by
clamping the lines them selves, or replacing with plastic plugs
(sometimes supplied with the bleeding kit).
  After installing the MC in the car, you'll still need to bleed the
wheel cylinders to get the air out of the lines, but now the operation
will take a lot less time and fluid because you are starting with a clear
MC, and not having to expunge that air also.
 Hope this helps
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget