Fwd: Midget problem

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fwd: Midget problem
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 10:03:51 -0400
--WebTV-Mail-1692517541-6710

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention - When I changed the air filters last
week, they seemed oily.  Does this have anything to do with my problem?

-Nory
 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger
 '86 Ford Escort
 '89 Ford Probe
 '96 North American Shepherd

--WebTV-Mail-1692517541-6710

From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 09:43:07 -0400
To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget problem
Sender: owner-mgs@autox.team.net

Hey listers!  Have I got a problem for you! I have a couple ideas what
it might be (and a couple I hope it's not), so I need your expert
opinion.

I decided I could get the car running a little better (was running very
rich - black smoke & fouling plugs), so I adjusted the carburetors
(rebuilt about 3-4 yrs ago).  Had her purring like a kitten at idle
(sounded great with the new exhaust system), but when I revved the
engine above 2000 on the tach, she stalled.  I started her back up and,
after more carb adjustments, it appeared that the only way I could get
it over 2000 was wth the over-rich mixture.  I decided to adjust the
carbs again (from scratch) to get back to the way it was (purring) so I
could check for other possible problems.  After starting from scratch
several times (over a few hours), I couldn't get it back.  By this time,
it had run a good deal of old gas (I mean really old!) through it.  I
also think  it might be that reformulated gas they were pushing in the
area for a while (that they no longer sell because cars wouldn't run
right on it).  Would the gas (old age or reformulated) be the reason I
can't get it nicely adjusted now (after it's run 1/2 tankful through
it)?  Would new gas clear it out?  Would that be the reason it was
stalling at high revs when it was running nicely at idle, or am I
looking at a vacuum advance problem, distributor problem, engine
rebuild,  or something else?  How can I check for this?  Anybody have
any experience with old or reform. gas?  Any and all suggestions would
be appreciated.

On the bright side, I cleaned up the fuse box and put new connectors on
all the wires - Everything works!  I don't think that's ever happened
before!  Thanks, MGDAVE, for the tip!  She runs like sh__, but I can now
sit in the driveway, flip my turn signals, blow the horn, and pretend
I'm driving a winding country road!

-Nory
 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger