Kangol seat belt buckles OK?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Kangol seat belt buckles OK?
From: johnhunt@ee.ogi.edu (John Hunt)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 13:15:50 -0700
I am about to renew the seat belts in my '68 MGB.

About 10 years ago I replaced the original belts
with generic belts from Moss.  I was able to reuse the
original buckles and plan to do so again.

The original seat belt buckles are the most convenient
I have ever seen on a car.  The are very easy to latch:
the final portion of the latch is held by magnets.

The belt has a tag:

  Kangol Magnet LTD., Carlisle, Model LD33

I enjoy the convenience (and authenticity) of the Kangol
buckles, but I have some concern about their safety
compared to a conventional steel on steel latch.

On the other hand, the latch supplied with the Moss
generic belts has the mark of confidence of good materials
and engineering:  "Made in Taiwan".

I've never been in an accident to confirm how well the
Kangol latches hold up.

Has anyone on the list had good or bad experience with
Kangol belt latches?  Are they common in England?

John Hunt               johnhunt@ee.ogi.edu

Senior Research Engineer
Dept. of Electrical Engineering
Oregon Graduate Institute