Early B update

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Early B update
From: mowogmgb@juno.com (Bill R Hayes)
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 20:35:13 EDT
I finally got my '62 B running. If you remember, it had been off the road
since '66, still with original batteries, spare, jack, tools, etc. All I
did was install new battery w/ bin, inspect interior of gas tank
(spotless/rustless), new fuel pump and fuel lines, cleaned carbs (didn't
change settings), new points and condenser, new plugs, and verified oil
flow/pressure before starting. It fired and started on the first try. I
didn't tell my wife I was trying, and she thought some P-3 was flying low
from the local NAS. (It didn't have an exhaust, just headpipe). I drove
it forward and back on the driveway. Next step is go through brakes and
electrical. ALl lights work, but wipers don't and the ignition light is
on. It's a very smooth engine with no signs of smoke or knocking and 65
psi oil pressure. Makes me wonder why it was ever parked in the first
place.

I will be restoring to original, since it is a very early chassis (472).
I got a Heritage cerificate which says it was Chelsea Grey (I thought it
was Olde English White from the appearance). Red interior and gray top.
"Despatched" in October 1962.

Some questions:

I will need a source for red sill matts. I hear they are unobtainable.
Any ideas? I've checked every source I can think of.

I also want to get 2" white walls, as delivered. I found some new
Michelin 5.60-14s with 2 1/4" ww, but they are cross ply. Anybody ever
find 2" radials? The Michelin's will do if they have too. I've tried
Coker and British Wire Wheel, plus the big vendors.

Bill
'62 MGB