Re: early vs late MGB's

To: "Steve Krane" <skrane@msn.com>
Subject: Re: early vs late MGB's
From: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 08:31:08 +1000
At 01:17 am 11/8/97 UT, Steve Krane wrote:
>Hello List:
>
>Recently drove a 66 roadster that was in good shape.  When comparing it to
my
>72 it felt "loose."   The 72 is very tight.  It made the 66 feel "wobbly"
>although there were no vibrations.
>
>This is the second 66 I have driven and I got the same feeling with the
other
>one.
>
>Is it just me or is there something to this?
>
>Thanks for your input,
>
>Steve Krane

Steve,

If you are referring just to the ride and handling then the earlier car
probably needed some repair work.  If you are referring to the car as a
whole then the younger the car (usually) the tighter it is.  I once had a
1980 UK Spec MGB GT LE with just 11,000 miles on the clock and that was
really tight in every respect.  My current new MGF is tighter again, so it
is a matter of what you include in your perception of 'tight'.  Anything
mechanical can be repaired/rebushed or whatever.  The whole car is a
different matter and age and lesser usage are the factor here.  From an
engineering point of view, other than the addition of sway bars on the back
of later models there was little real difference from 1962 to 1980.

regards,

Graham
97 MGF

Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia