Go topless!

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Go topless!
From: Carol <car@texas.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 13:27:11 -0500
At 04:40 PM 8/13/97 -0400, Larry Macy wrote:

[snip]

>I can understand why Barney and Carol put the top up when they got to TX.
>Our top was in PA to save space. We all drank a lot of water that day. By
>the time we got to Richmond, VA it was about 98F and probabvly a heat
>index of 115F.

Larry! Larry! Larry!!

Au contraire!!

The only times the top was up on the MGA with an Attitude was when it
rained too hard and too long. Oklahoma, Montana, Canada en route to Dawson
City, Idaho/Wyoming (1400-mile run), and one other time, I think. And we
had it up for the trip up the haul road (Dalton Highway) to
Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay. Longest duration was three days, and that was the
Prudhoe Bay trip. Next longest was 1-1/2 days. Others were about a half day
or so.

I don't care how hot it is, it's much nicer to drive without the top. You
can see and experience a lot more. And, yes, we did consume a lot of liquids.

Something else we found to be helpful is a "Squeeze Breeze" that we saw in
Grapevine and then found in a WalMart. It's a hand-held electric fan
mounted on a spray bottle that has water in it. It's a squeeze/blow sort of
thing.

Congratulations on doing your trip right!  Topless!!  ;-)

Carol

>The map showed a fairly easy way to get to I-64 to Williamsburg but the
>map was faulty. We could see the messy mass of steel and concrete that
>was I-95 and I-64 interchange but no way to get on it. So we went through
>Richmond an caught 64 on the SE side. What a pleasant trip. No. 1 it was
>hotter than HE double hockey sticks and No.2 it was not a part of town I
>wanted to be in with a classic LBC nor a motorcycle. I would have found a
>different way if it had been dark! Eventually we meandered through enough
>of town to find I-64 and we headed for Williamsburg.
>Our campground was only about 35 miles down from there and we made in
>about 72 hours (It was that hot) actually about 30 min. Then the fun
>began. I don't know how many of you have stayed in KOA's but this was the
>pits. Fortunately when I went in to register I told them we had not been
>happy with the last site and wanted to look at the campsites before we
>checked in. They gave me three choices. 3 we had made reservations in
>MARCH. There must be about 100 - 150 sites there and we could pick one of
>three. So we looked. No roads - just gravel pits. The campsites were
>about 10ft by 10ft and about 18 inches apart. We need to put up two tents
>and park a car and a bike and have room for a picnic table. FAT CHANCE.
>We had passed another campsite on the way in to this one. So we drove
>back there and checked their sites out. we got one about 130 ft deep and
>75 ft across kind of teardrop shaped, with nobody around in the next
>sites. and lots of shade. We set up the tents and then went back to the
>KOA and told them the sites were unacceptable. They tried to get us
>another site. TOUGH SH*T. Besides the other place was cheaper.
>We were expecting rain the next day so we settled down with a few of
>Uncle Anheuser's best and tried to stay cool enough for the night. We
>spent the next day, even though it was cooler recovering from the heat of
>the previous day and didn't do much.
>I'll finish the rest of the tale in a day or too.
>
>Larry Macy
>78 Midget

>28. The Midget was still running like a champ. Last night, the guy tht
>drove the Yanmaha admitted that he didn't think the car would make the
>whole trip. (He had helped with the suspension and brakes) and figured
>something else would fail. Well it did (the alternator) but he figured
>something else. Ha Ha fooled him.

So, there ya' go!! Those LBC's know when they're under scrutiny and put on
their best airs! ;-)

BTW, Larry, I'm enjoying your tale, even if I am a few days late in reading
it this time!