Backfire

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Backfire
From: Wally Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 23:20:47 -0700
What is the main cause of exhaust backfire?  I can't believe how rich
I have to adjust my SU's to get rid of it.  Adjusting the carbs via the
book methods and it just pops back like the blazes.  I am running the
timing at 15 degrees advanced (static method) with no pinging.  Running
like this, my plugs and exhaust pipe are loading up with carbon
deposits. It seems like I can not get this engine (71 B) to smooth out.
I am running with all the standard smog stuff, i.e. gulp valve, air
pump, etc. but I tried without it, blocking all the inlets and seemed to
make no difference.

Also in a different vein, what is everyone running for plugs (Champion,
AC, etc)?

Wally / Templeton, MA
71 MGB