Re: BGT rear end clunk

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: BGT rear end clunk
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 18 Aug 1997 09:56:24 -0500
In <970817164037_47734150@emout12.mail.aol.com>, Montefrank@aol.com wrote:
>66BGT drive shaft to rear end excessive play and clunk.  Rear end does not
>whine.  Is sudden failure possible and/or likely?

No.  The Dreaded Clunk is a common malady. Comes from either (1) worn
thrust washers in the diffie or (2) worn spider gears in the diffie.
A less likely source is worn splines in the drive shaft.

(1) is better than (2).  (1) can be fixed in an afternoon for about
$10.  (2) costs a lot more, but takes no more time to fix.

>Is visit to salvage yard a
>good solution, or should I attempt to rebuild, or just let it B.

I'd assume it was (1) above, get the parts and try fixing it.  Can't
hurt.  If the clunk is still there, then it's (2).  Most cost- and
time-effective repair is to find a fairly good diffie in a junkyard
and get its gears and swap.  No need to change the whole thing.

                        A. B. Bonds