Re: Leading was-Waxoyl

To: MLishego@aol.com
Subject: Re: Leading was-Waxoyl
From: Aron Travis <atravis@spacey.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 11:08:04 -0700
MLishego@aol.com wrote:
> My grandfather prides himself on "leading" a car.  In stead of using putty,
> he somehow melts lead, and almost solders it in the space of rust holes..
>  While not stopping rust, it's pretty neat.  Anyone else know more about this
> "lost art" as he calls it?

Just as you describe, he's soldering the lead to the body to smooth
imperfections. Lead is the old fasioned way of body repair/smoothing,
many cars had the seams between the panels leaded from the factory.
Also when 'shaving' a custom car (ie removing trim, badges, body seams,
etc) it was common to use lead to seal the holes, hense the term 'lead
slead'.
Lead has problems, it's toxic, the acid resin to clean the metal is
toxic also, both can affect your paint, lead is heavy, it's very hot
and time consuming to apply and shape.
Body filler is the modern and better replacement.
-Aron-
"in a frenzy"