Re: electric fans...

To: John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>
Subject: Re: electric fans...
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:45:44 -0500
John Steczkowski wrote:

> '75 MGB....
>
> I'm getting ready to go back to Texas from Portland. While I was in
> Portland (OR) I bought my '75 MGB which has been a NW car it's entire
> life. I've noticed in Portland that on hot days (by Portland standards)
> that the temp gauge can creep past half way. This makes me think that in
> TX, I'll have to deal with some cooling system issues.

Possibly - but, my '79B doesn't have an oil cooler.  I did put in 160
(165?) degree thermostat.  Normally, runs just above mid range on the
temp gauge.  However, today, in stop and go traffic on the 28 mile trip
home from work, with outdoor temps at 95 to 98 degrees, the gauge went
higher, about 3/4 scale, or about 2 needle widths below the red.  Once
the speed got above 45 mph, it dropped back to just above midrange.

> My plans are to inpall a 16 row oil cooler with thermostat ASAP.

Probably a good idea.

> I hadn't planned on an electric fan to start with, but I may need one of
> those as well. One question...The later MGBs came with electric fans,
> were they in addition to the engine driven fan?  It seems that replacing
> the engine driven fan with an electric would free up a couple of
> horsepower and since there isn't much of a shroud, etc it would also
> improve the cooling. Additionally, while idling, the electric fan would
> circulate more air than the engine driven fan.

The electrics are instead of the engine driven fan.  There are two in
front of the radiator, push air through.  Controlled by a thermostatic
switch in the top of the radiator tank, where it is splashed by the
water coming out of the thermostat to tank hose.  Yes, it does free up
some engine HP, desireable on the lower HP later models.

--
Keep on keepin' on!
(non illegitimus carborundus)

Wayne Kube              1979 MGB