Re: Does the world need another post about: Opinion on new MG

To: patrick bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: Does the world need another post about: Opinion on new MG
From: Carol <car@texas.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 00:23:29 -0500
At 05:52 PM 8/18/97 -0700, patrick bailey wrote:

>I didn't say that the "gumdrop"was bad

Ok, Pat! I'll say it! The gumdrop look is awful, IN MY OPINION.

I sat in the back seat of one of these new creations (a Pontiac Grand Prix)
a couple of years ago. The driver bumped a curb, and the rounded roof over
the side window bashed me in the head hard enough that I saw stars. That's
when I decided that if I ever buy another car I'll ride in the back seat
first!

>it just looks like everything else on
>the road.You can spot a B or BGT 2 blocks away,can you do that with
>most new cars?Remember the cars of the late 50s early 60s? They were
>and still are identifible Fords didn't look like Chevies,Chevies didn't
look like
>Chryslers etc etc.How many times do you have do go up to a new car and
>look at the name to tell what the hell it is?

I've walked up to many a new car to see what the devil it was. In several
cases, I found NO name on the car. On one occasion the only identifying
feature on the car was an emblem on the hub covers...and I hadn't a clue as
to which manufacturer it belonged to.

>It seems that todays designers
>are getting lazy and are all copying each other.when I was a tennager I
>would anxiously wait for October when all the new cars would come out
>and all the new designs it was an exciting time, I would buy Motor Trend
>with their sneak previews and go to the dealers to see the newest cars
>and wish I could have one.Todays cars are better, more reliable
>safer,etc but they are NOT exciting,except for a few exceptions.

And remember all the mystery with which the manufacturers would veil the
introductions of the new models?    There was a lot of glamour associated
with the debuts each year.

>Remember the 60 Buick? it was a sled
>but what lines!It was a sculpture on wheels! How about the 59 ford flop
top box ,We were on the
>leading edge of car design and were going to the Moon!It was a great time
to be a car enthusiast.
>What we have today are overpriced,over regulated,oversmogged,boring modes
of transportation.
>Pat

Amen!

Carol

PS And I do think that VWs predated the Japanese invasion of compact cars.
I still have my '69 Beetle.