Re: Try and figure this one out. Anybody? Please give me some

To: a-rrees@microsoft.com
Subject: Re: Try and figure this one out. Anybody? Please give me some
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 02:25:17 EDT
On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:39:36 -0700 "Randy Rees (Volt Computer)"
<a-rrees@microsoft.com> writes:

>>      My brakes work great, they don't pull when I stop, no fad or
anything for the last three month since the rebuild, ..... this funny
modulation in the brake pedal. ..... It only happens when turning right,
..... and happens at all speeds. .....

OK, a stab in the dark.  Slightly distorted tire, probably on the left
front.  Occasionally you will find a tire with carcass failure, such that
the internal plies separate and the belts and windings move a little out
of position.  I've had this problem more than once.  Certain brands of
tire are more prone to this problem than others -- odd brands being the
most prevalent.  In sever cases you may find a noticable indentation in
the tread accompanied by a bulge on the sidewall.

Jack up the car and spin each of the tires.  Watch the tire straight on
from the front, look for the tread to undulate vertically or horizontally
as the tire spins.  Check all four tires to be sure.

Next, swap the two front tires and see if the problem switches to left
turns instead of right turns.  If it does, you know it's in the tires.

Could also be a bent wheel, in which case the tread will wobble sideways
when you spin the tire.

It's worth a look,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude