advancing timing

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: advancing timing
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 01:25:15 +0000
> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:21:12 -0700
> From: Wally Teto <monadnoc@wgserv.crystal-mtn.com>
> Subject: Re: Backfire
>
> > When I installed my weber carb, the car did the same thing, a backfire on
> > acceleration.  Try advancing your timing.  That worked for me.
> > ~Mike Lishego
>
> How far past the recommended setting did you advance it Mike?  More than
> 5 degrees?  I have heard of people running all kinds of wild advance
> settings, like 20 degrees more than what the manual advises.  I think I
> will try this in various increments until it knocks.
>
> Wally

Wally,
        Don't necessarily advance it till it knocks.  I WAY over-advanced my
distributor once by accident, and the engine never did knock, because
of the piston/head combination I have.  What did happen, however was
the mixture would fire so early that it would slam the piston back
down, basically giving my symptoms of a hung starter when I tried to
start it.

Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner