Re: O/D switch as Fog light switch

To: Cancola@aol.com
Subject: Re: O/D switch as Fog light switch
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:16:33 EDT
On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:28:57 -0400 (EDT) Cancola@aol.com writes:
>Group,,,,,
>     During the driving light thread someone mentioned using the o/d
>switch
>plug in as a means to switch on/off fog lamps.  Having just aquired a
>set of
>said lamps I thought this great.  However when using the o/d switch
>and plug,
>the inline fuse heats up enough to start melting.  What have I done
>wrong?????????
>                      Bill in Colorado   73 BGT

Bill,
 You have asked the OD wires to supply more current than their size
permits.  It's ok to use the switch, but it needs to be wired so that it
controls a solenoid with enough electrical capacity to supply the lights.
 Check the amps/watts of the lights and give that number to the parts
store.
 The electrical consumption of the OD solenoid is very little. I couldn't
find in in the shop manual just now, its wire is 16 ga or maybe even 18
ga.
Bob