Re: Cold, Normal, Hot equals????

To: mgbob@juno.com
Subject: Re: Cold, Normal, Hot equals????
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:06:37 EDT
On Fri, 22 Aug 1997 06:52:58 EDT mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
writes:

>  Where the needle rests in the gauge will probably vary with the
>gauge and sending unit in a given car, but here is my experience for
>consideration.
>  With a 165 thermostat the needle was about 3/4 of the way to the N
>in the C-N sector. It fluctuated down, often, so I replaced it with a
>190 stat. That was in January. (We're in Connecticut)  Needle then
>moved to just touch the right leg of the N. That's where it stays,
>unless air temp gets into the 90s, when it moves about 1/8 inch to the
>right of N.
>Bob

My cars substantially follow the same pattern however the 69 was running
a tad OVER the N until the airpump siezed and was disconnected - now it
runs slightly below the N.....
the 72 runs on the N dead centre unless i hit traffic then it moves to
midwy N/H
(likely die to its bearings problem!)
The anomaly is the GT - and i have been meaning to ask this for a while -

the car ALWAYS runs cool - in winter it takes at least 25-30 minutes to
warm up and at best the guage is halfway between C and N. in summer it
warms up quicker(duhhhh..) but the needle still never passes the same
point although the engine is running at an apparently normal temp.
I presume its the guage that is in error - any ideas on a fix??

mike robson
70 BGT - hot
69 roadster - hotter
72 roadster - hottest