Re: Headlights out; all others work

To: BDurgin1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Headlights out; all others work
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 23:58:41 -0400
Check the simple stuff first.  Is the fuse OK?  Just because it looks
OK, doesn't mean it is.  The break could be on the end, where you
wouldn't see it.  Replace the fuse first.

Have you connected a test light or a new headlight?  Odd as it would be,
it is possible that both lights blew at once.  It's been known to happen
and, like I said, check the simple stuff first.

Check all the connections.  If they're original, they're probably in
sorry shape. Have you checked every connection with a test light?  Also,
if you have enough wire to work with, I suggest you cut each wire back
to new, shiny wire, put on a new connector, and file the terminal to
shiny metal before you reconnect.  Do this with every connection you
have on the headlight circuit, from the fuse box to the lights.  I've
found most of my wiring problems were due to old, corroded connections,
and cleaning them up works most of the time.

While you're following wires around, look for anything that may have
become disconnected or broken (the second most frequent of my wiring
problems).  If you find broken wire or wire with worn off insulation,
cut it back to good wire and splice it with shrink wrap (wonderful
stuff).  Wires that have become disconnected can be tricky.  It's not
always clear where they're supposed to go.  You may need the wiring
diagram to figure it out, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

As a last resort, re-wiring the headlamps, if necessary, isn't all that
hard.  It's most likely, however, that your problem will be solved by
one of the above, and re-wiring won't be necessary (warning:  with my
headlights, re-wiring was necessary - but not with any other component I
had trouble with).

Good luck!

(I love electrical problems - It's such a great feeling of
accomplishment when you've fixed the problem after spending three days
looking for a 1/8" length of rotted insulaton.)    (-;

-NORY
Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger
 '86 Ford Escort