Jap knockoffs?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Jap knockoffs?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 05:49:41 +0000
> Scott,
>  You are correct in the statement that no car has been developed in a vacuum.
>  But my observation still stands: the Miata is nothing more than  a
> replica/repro of the Lotus Elan.  Yes, it's updated (it couldn't be sold
> otherwise), and yes, it's a neat little car.  BUT.....MG's tried hard to make
> large improvements throughout the companies' existence; in short, no looking
> back.  The Miata is a redo of a 60's car.

I think it may be overstating things to call the Miata a
replica/repro of the Elan.  Place them side-by-side, and the
appearance is far from a "replica".  Also, compare the number of
Miatas sold to the numbers of Elans.  Like it or not, I think Mazda
captured something with the Miata, and it wasn't necessarily stolen
from the Lotus.  I realize that the Miata didn't have much
competition when it was first introduced, but buyers did have a few
other choices for small, open cars. (Cabrio, Metro, Capri...)
Scott