Re: Restoration Tip - Really!

To: JedPiper@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Restoration Tip - Really!
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 11:39:05 -0500
On Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:36:43 -0500 "JedPiper" <JedPiper@earthlink.net>
writes:
>he uses Pam cooking spray as a protective coating for chrome items and
>other metallic parts that he is storing for use in long-term
>restoration

Keep it off of paint!  A friend in Dallas sprayed some on the front of
his MGA on the advice of someone else.  It was supposed to keep the bugs
from sticking on a long trip.  It ruined his paint job.  Although I think
what actually ruined the paint job was trying to remove it.

Reminds me of a story.  My grandfather spread some Vaseline all over the
front of his car to keep the bugs from sticking on a long trip.  In the
days of full-service gas stations, an attendant was trying get the hood
open to check the oil but couldn't get the hood up because his hands kept
slipping on the Vaseline.  He asked Granddad "What's all this here
slippery stuff on the front of your car?"  Granddad replied "Vaseline."
To which the attendant responded "What's the matter, your garage too
small?"

>And...is anyone aware of any upcoming MG club events, car shows, or
>swap
>meets in southern Texas?

Yep.  End of September (weekend of 26th, I think) is the Texas MG
Register fall GOF in Del Lago near Conroe.

In the middle of October there is a fairly large swap meet (all cars, not
just British) in the Montgomery Fairgrounds, also near Conroe.

You need to joint the Alamo MG Association, if you haven't already.  I
don't have the peculiars with me, but if no one else passes on the info,
email me privately and I will get it at home tonight.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX