Re: Real Power

To: Adam Howarth <ahowarth@fl.net.au>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Real Power
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 07:23:32 -0500
At 07:34 PM 8/27/97 +1000, you wrote:
>Yes, I admit I have ideas of chucking that prehistoric boat anchor of a B
>engine and getting an Nissan FJ20.......its dialled with four valves per
>cyclinder, twin overhead camshafts, can handle high RPMs (8000+), has loads
>of aftermarket go fast goodies and is cheap.

 The engine may be cheap (so how come Japanese distributors cost $300) but
the conversion would not neccessarily be so.

>The B engine is slow. Lets admit it. You will never gain real HP unless you
>turbo it and then you wont have the flow for good power nor will you have
>the realibility at high revs.
   The B is a 37+ year old design with a 40+ year old engine design. Without
serious suspension and brake work it should not IMHO be pushed much beyond
the 125hp range, and even with 'realistic' suspension work 200hp seems a
lot. Sports Cars International sells a 144hp 'streetable' engine.

>Before I fork out the cash for it, I had some intial reservations towards
>keeping my B original.  So if you have a method of getting lots of power
>from a B engine then save me from damnation please.

It's your car. Do what you want. I've seen all sorts of conversions. There
is the Rover/Buick V8 conversion. Or you could sell your soul and do the
Japanese thing. . .as for the damnation thing, I figure anyone who wants to
stick a Japanese engine in a B is free to go to hell if they like! ;-)

Michael, New Bern, NC