Datsuns-reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Datsuns-reply
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 07:15:54 -0700 (PDT)
: Kenneth Scott wrote:

Hi,
        The Datsuns you saw were probably the "fairlady" done in the
60s.  The latest ones, just before the 240Z looked much like MGBs.
There were two versions. Tthe 1600 was a poor performer compared to
the B.  It was a 1600 cc engine coupled to a four speed.  The 2000 was
a 2 litre street rocket (I owned a 1969 version).  Red line at 7,000 rpm
with a 5 speed.  Top speed well in excess of 120 mph.  Used to have a
great time blowing off tr6s.  Car was fast but had no soul (another
conversation). Ken Scott(77 MGB)

Dear Ken and Listers,

After the war Nissan (Datsun) built Austin A40 Somersets under license to
BMC as their first postwar cars. All Datsuns up until 1972 used a good
portion of licensed BMC technology. SU carbs licensed to Hitatchi,
electrics licensed to Chrysler (Prestolite), Trans components licensed to
Porsche.  This is how they learned to make such good cars! The comment that
Japanese cars, especially early examples from the late sixties is pure
hogwash!  I owned a 1966 1600 roadster(that could easily outrun an MGB) and
my little Bro had a 150hp, 2000 that would run neck and neck with a 271hp
HiPo Mustang in a drag race and keep up with Porches on corners!

It is believed that the chicken came before the MGB but the MGB most likely
was introduced slightly before the 1600 Datsun.  Also, the earliest
versions of the Datsun (1300 & 1500) really are different than the later
versions that look a bit more like a B.  Early cars were boxier and had
smaller wheel arches and 13" wheels. Hoods, doors and decklids don't
interchange. All Datsun roadsters had lower and prettier low windscreens
prior to 1968 when the Nader birgade got annoyed that the top of the frame
was directly in the line of most Americans vision.

As I've said before, automotive soul is subjective. My 1600 roadster might
not have as much perceived soul as an MGB but it had a real ladder type
frame and much less body flex. The exhaust might not had a hint smoky
barbque flavor but the car never broke, even with a usually wasted and
always deluded college kid/race driver at the wheel. Sure these look like a
cross between an MGB and an El Toro lawn tractor but that's part of their
charm. They made up for that when they brought out the Z.

Don't sell the Japanese short (this is not an intended pun!).  They have
been on the leading edge of motorcycle technology for years and to be
truthfull, there is more cycle technology than old car technology in most
of todays cars anyway. You have to buy a truck to get anything that
resembles an old car these days.  See you on the Funway! - Rick Fiebusch