Re: Installing seal under windshield

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Installing seal under windshield
From: "John A. Wise" <wise@db.erau.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:18:33 -0400
  >>John Middlesworth asked about Installing the seal seal under windshield

I did that last year - It is a lot of work but here is what I did.

The entrance hole (notch?) in the track that holds the seal (on the
passenger side) is too close to the post to allow the seal to slide in
easily.  So I drilled another hole (notch) in the track a couple of inches
further from that post.  This allows the seal to have a straighter entry
into the track.  Then I used a lot of silicon lubricant spray in both the
track and on the spine on the seal and started to pull it in a few inches
at a time.  I would pull on the end and then pull a little farther back to
even out the tension.

I managed to get it 1/2 way on by myself and then my 25 year old son helped
by holding the the windsceen back as I pulled on the seal.  It took
probably 10 minutes to get the last 1/2 in.  I used a lot os lubricant...

I then used a screwdriver to push the last 3 inches of seal beyond my entry
hole back into the track aided of course by a lot od lubricant.

16 months later it is still firmly seated...

My son is getting his MGB painted next week & we are stripping it this
weekend.  I was real happy to see that his seal is till in excellent shape
(he just brought the car back from Calif) & that we would not have to
replace the seal.

I hope this helps - as it is a lot of work!

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CHFP                       Tel: (+1) (904) 226-6384
Department of Human Factors & Systems           Fax: (+1) (904) 226-7050
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University            E-mail: wise@db.erau.edu
600 South Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900      USA