Re: Heat Soak

To: AdrianJones@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: Heat Soak
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 18:27:03 EDT
On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 19:44:15 -0400 Adrian Jones
<AdrianJones@compuserve.com> writes:
>Hi All,
>        Here's something else to ponder.  Coming home from work in my
>gre=
>en
>1975 Midget, I stopped off to pick up some gas.  The needle was right
>on =
>on the dual temp/ oil pressure gauge.  By the time I had filled up
>with g=
>as
>etc, the needle had shot WAY past the Hot zone and was in fact
>pointing a=
>100 psi  (ie the needle was out of the temperature part of the gauge
>and
>was now in the oil pressure part of

Hi Adrian,
  A neighbor who claims to be a friend of the MG (though he drives one of
those A-H machines) has a  standing joke about the "normal" position of
the temp and oil pressure gauges on TDs. He declares that that position
is with the Temp on 100C and the Pressure at 0.  Nice guy.
  Were you driving hard and fast before you pulled into the petrol pump?
Climbing hills?  The extra heat made by the engine working hard is likely
to cause the temp gauge to run up for a while when the engine is shut off
shortly after working hard.  Some recommend driving the last 1/4 mile
before home at a reduced, cruising rate. Does this make any difference in
longevity? I don't know, but can't hurt.
Bob

Expecting a Chernobyl