Fun with Pertronix Ignitor Installation

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fun with Pertronix Ignitor Installation
From: "Chris Cavanaugh" <chriscav@pdq.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 16:40:33 -0500
Help wanted!

I have a low mileage 78 'B that still had the (supposedly) troublesome
Lucas integrated ignition amplifier attached to the distributor body.  In
the interest of prevention (and not being stranded somewhere) I opted (at
the advice of a local mechanic here in Houston) to install the Pertronix
system.  I know, I know, "if it ain't broke - don't fix it!"

I have followed and reinstalled the components three times to the exact
instructions provided, and cannot get the car running.  I'm getting juice
from the coil, but somehow it is not getting to the pickup assembly.  One
thing I noticed, is that the magnet seems to sit pretty far down the
distributor shaft, so that only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the assembly aligns
with the bottom of the pickup unit.

Any ideas from those of you who have done this conversion?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.....

Chris