Re: Midget charging system conversion

To: "Richard D. Arnold" <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Midget charging system conversion
From: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 17:55:13 -0400
Richard D. Arnold wrote:

> All:
>
> Anyone interested in knowing how to convert a internally-regulated
> alternator (Lucas) equipped Midget to a US General Motors
> internally-regulated alternator?  I converted my '79 to this earlier this
> summer after I became disgusted with the reliability (or lack thereof) of
> the stock Lucas unit.

Well you got my attention.  I just spent $98.00 (plus tax) to get mine
rebuilt, yesterday.  (Was that a good price, or did I get reamed?)

When I took it off the car (without removeing the air pump  [patting
self on back]) I heard stuff rattlinng around inside it.  One piece
actually fell out.  I've changed a lot of alternators in my life and
I've never seen one _that_ bad.

How long should I expect this rebuild to last?  And, are they always as
unreliable as you state or does it depend a lot on who rebuilt it?

Bobby
77 MGB    Back on the road!

--
                                       Bob De Weese
                             Certified Professional Locksmith

*  "The secret to effective communication is knowing what to say, *
*   how to say it, and whom to say it to."                        *