Re: several questions ( all LBC )

To: HGlenBetts@aol.com
Subject: Re: several questions ( all LBC )
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 18:58:16 -0400
HGlenBetts@aol.com wrote:
> With ignition on, I've got voltage between + side of coil and ground.
> and no spark from coil when turning over. Is there a (simple) way to know if
> the coil is good or bad?

  Completely good or bad, not easy.

  But functionally good or bad... possible. Hook up a spark plug
that you can see. Ground the plug against something that can
withstand a spark (not bodywork). You can either rig it using
the coil-distributor wire itself, or else check which way
the rotor is pointing and use the appropriate plug wire.

  Remove the coil + wire, turn on ignition, and touch and
remove the + wire to the coil. You are in effect simulating
the points, and should make a spark.

  Your coil still could have other problems like heat
intermittency (annoying random failures that go away) but
that should tell you if it works enough to start the car.

> SECOND...
> ... Also missing the anti flash cover.

  Anti flash covers are things often only seen in
parts catalogs. I guess they protect the distributor
innards from all the sparking under the cap, but
evidently the concrete reason for doing so isn't
so apparent.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada