Re: master cylinder woes

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
Subject: Re: master cylinder woes
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 01:05:32 EDT
On Sun, 31 Aug 97 16:09:09 -0400 Larry Macy
<macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu> writes:
>> I will agree with you 99% Barney, except the point of "Apply oil
liberally".  It's best to avoid completely introducing petroleum products
into a brake system.  It only takes a very small amount to contaminate
brake fluid.   Rather than oil, use new, clean brake fluid, of the same
type as in the system to lubricate the hone. And keep the MC opening
tilted slightly downward during the operation to minimize the possibility
of trapping grunge in the MC. Finally, flush liberaly with clean brake
fluid to remove any left over crud.
>>Just my $.02 worth
>>Rick Morrison
>>72 MGBGT
>>74 Midget
>
>Duh, I agreed w/ Barney about lubrcating the hone and forgot this
>important point. Thanks for pointing out the fallacy of oil vs. brake
>fluid.
>
>Larry Macy
>78 Midget

OK guys.  I've been trying to keep quiet on this because nobody's advice
is hurting anybody, but I just gotta say it.

After the oil on the hone, I believe my final word was "Clean
thoroughly".  Right off hand I have the impression that a flush with
brake fluid after honing with brake fluid might not get all the grit out,
because you will have trouble getting all the brake fluid out.  But
cleaning thoroughly can be done in any number of ways if you're
persistent.

About that honing fluid.  ..... The primary function of the lubricant
when honing is to carry away the grit (metal and stone) from the honing
interface, so it doesn't plug up the stone and start scratching the
cylinder wall.  To that end, you can use almost any fliud that strikes
your fancy -- oil, water, pepsi, beer?

The important point is to get the cylinder absolutely clean when you're
done, so there's no grit left inside.  I might recommend rinsing it
thoroughly with laquer thinner, acetone, or denatured alcohol.  Any of
those solvents will evaporate to leave a clean, dry surface with no
residue.

$.02,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude