Re: TD Coil

To: Ronald Olds <tr6@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: TD Coil
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 08:48:46 -0400
Ronald Olds wrote:

> I have some questions on the coil on my TD.
>
> The coil seems to quit working when it gets hot (heat from the engine
> compartment). Does the coil quit because it is hot or is the coil bad
> because it quits working when it gets hot? I had the car out yesterday
> and
> it was very hot outside. I usually don't drive in that kind of heat.
> Once
> the coil cooled down the engine would start again. I would appreciate
> any
> expert advise.
>
> Ron Olds

  Ron,
       The simple answer - the coil should not quit working due to
under-bonnet heat. If, by any chance your coil is not an OEM type, it
could be from the genre that require a ballast resistor when operating.
They will get inordinately hot if running from a full 12 volts and may
very well become a problem.

Bud Krueger
52TD