Re: Heat Soak -Reply

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Heat Soak -Reply
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 20:52:09 -0400
Message text written by Rick Morrison
>With the engine off,
and near normal temp, the temperature in the block will rise , sometimes
quite rapidly, as the uncirulated coolant absorbs heat still in the
hotter metal block.  As soon as the coolant begins to circulate again,
the gauge returns to normal within a few minutes. =

  Both my cars (72 BGT and 74 Midget) will do this if shut off for a
short period, especially on a warm day<

Rick,
The temp rises so high that I can feel the heat when i pop the hood. =

That's what led me replace the manifold.  Remember the "Cracked Exhaust
manifold " thread.
Despite putting in a brand new manifold, I'm still getting what i believe=

to be vapor lock.  I'm still waiting on a heat shield (hint, hint Ted) to=

hopefully cure that problem.  When the needle shot out of the hot range
into meltdown range i became quite concerned.  I do have a temp heat shie=
ld
in place (more to collect the dripping fuel out of the Z-S than anything,=

before I rebuilt it) - apparently it is too thin to prevent heat transfer=

from exhaust manifold to the carb.  I would like to possibily make my own=

but I don't want to mess with this car just yet as it is now my driver to=

work (my usual regular is Binky, of "Can't get over 3000rpm fame")
Ah well, the temp should be dropping quite substantially here in NC for t=
he
next couple of days so hopefully that will alleviate the heat problem.

Regards,   Adrian