Re: Rubber Bushing Lube

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rubber Bushing Lube
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 00:47:22 EDT
On Thursday, 4 September 1997, at 11:43, the following was addressed:

>Richard A. Boris wrote:

>> Need some pointers regarding lubrication for rubber bushings. I had a
>> devil of a time removing the rear spring front bolts from the car.

>Mike Lishego wrote:

>I always keep a can of used motor oil hanging around for purposes like
>this.  Applied liberally, it does a great job of getting your bushings
to fit
>correctly.

With all respect, I would not use oil (used or not) to lubricate a rubber
part, as it will cause deterioration over time.  For lubrication purposes
I use a silcone grease (not a spray), as it lubricates and keeps the
rubber piece flexible without damaging anything (I got my last tube at
Tru-Valu Hardware, its made by some company called Panex).  Lubricate the
bushing liberally inside and out, press it into place, coat the bolt
threads, install one nut, wipe off the excess, install another nut so
that it locks the first into place, and slide a piece of heatshrinkable
tubing or a vacuum cap over the remaining threads.

I use the same stuff on my weather strips and seals, and engine and
tranny mount rubber to keep them flexible and protect them from the
elements.  Works great on brake dust seals, spark plug boots, and vacuum
and coolant lines, too.

Luck,

Rich Arnold
Council Bluffs, Iowa, USA

richard.arnold@juno.com

"It is wise to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties."
James Madison ca. 1791

'79 Midget "Molly Maguire"