Re: garbage on mail list

To: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Subject: Re: garbage on mail list
From: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 17:34:59 -0700
Bud Krueger wrote:

>      The mgs list tends to have something on the order of 80 messages
> per day. Of that amount, perhaps a couple of dozen are of interest to me
> as one whose interest in things MG goes back to new TC's.

A good comment Bud. A year or so ago I was on a VRML list, which became so
complex that no one could follow any threads easily. There was mutual
agreement to categorize topics with a series of consistent labels and then
add the writer's subject. I have thought for a long time that if it really
had to do with an MG topic, the model number could appear first, ie, TA, TC,
TD, TF, A, B, C, etc. The new mail programs are able to sort by subject (I
highly recommend Netscape Communicator 4.02 final release). As I don't "do"
MGAs or Bs, such a discipline would make a quick sort and delete very quick.
For the reply messages, the "Re:" would not affect the sort as I would
delete the "Re: MG - Subject of message". I have known several very good
T-series MG guys who dropped the list because it just took too much time to
plow through the chaff to get at the wheat, and each subscriber has their
own definition of what's wheat and what's chaff. There is of course, the
issue of categorization of the non-MG messages, which in some cases are of
interest, and I note a lot of this type.

Open to discussion.

Bill Harkins
Fallbrook, CA