starting advice

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: starting advice
From: Mike Lewellen <mlewellen@fruit.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 08:53:15 -0500
Yesterday, Friday, was a bad day.  I was stranded in my "B" twice in one
day.  I ran out of gas first, that was my own mistake!  Figuring out the
gas gauge.  But the second one is what Ii would like some thought on.
At first my "B" would refuse to start on cool mornings when I would stop
to get gas about 5 minutes after leaving the house.  Since then I have
put a new clutch in and cleaned up the engine, properly bolting the
intake manifold and some painting.   Now without fail, the car will not
start until it is cool.  I feel strongly that it is "suffering" for
fuel.  I have checked for vapor lock in the sense that I checked to see
if the fuel line is close to any heat sources.   I have noticed that the
PO did put a new fuel pump on the car.  It is not a SU, I think it is a
fuel pump from NAPA.  I'll check this weekend.

I'm wondering if it is building up pressure in the fuel line or in the
fuel pump and it won't pump until the pressure equalizes or something.
The times I have been stranded I was afraid to disconnect the fuel line
to see if it was pumping because the threat of fire on the side of the
road.

My thoughts are:

1.    check to make sure the spec's on the fuel pump are right.
2.    force the problem to happen & then see if there is any fuel being
pumped.

Anyone have any advice!!!

Thanks in advance!!