youth vs. parents, clarification

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: youth vs. parents, clarification
From: missouf@mail.utexas.edu (steffy)
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 16:24:30 -0500 (CDT)
I am totally in agreement with the parent encountering the 16 year old who
says "Hey, buy me a car," while the child has no intention of helping with
payments, insurance, upkeep, or gas.  I don't think that every kid deserves
an MG (nor does every adult).

However, I think there is an aspect of child responsibility to be
considered.  Yes, my parents bought me the MG.  However, I _did_ earn it --
by getting my BA degree in 2.5 years, rather than 4, 5, or the increasingly
popular 6 year graduation plan.  I pay for all the upkeep and parts, and  I
do the mechanical work.  If I had a car which I abhored, I would let it
rust, the oil would not get changed, and it would be a waste of money.

No one should expect their parents (or anyone else) to buy them any type of
car -- especially not one which would then require further (and constant)
maintenance and upkeep.  I was merely pointing out that there are often
several sides to the situation, rather than merely age and practicality.

stephanie
'77 MG Midget

          Salutation
                              ----Ezra Pound

O generation of the thoroughly smug
         and thoroughly uncomfortable,
I have seen fishermen picnicking in the sun,
I have seen them with untidy families,
I have seen their smiles full of teeth
        and heard ungainly laughter.
And I am happier than you are,