Wings and Wheels review

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Wings and Wheels review
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 21:13:38 -0500
Fellow listers:

Classic Motorbook's Wings and Wheels car show / fly in / craft show was
held this Saturday.  The weather was perfect and the turnout was huge with
the number of cars actually overflowing the show area.  Last year there
were over 700 cars and this year there were many more.  The Minnesota MG
Group is a sponsor of this show so we get our own small field for MG's.
There were over 50 at the show this year and we needed every inch of that
space.  Lots of B's, a few midgets, more A's including one coupe, and a
large contingent of TD's with one TF thrown in for good measure.  About
five of the TD's drove up together (with one Y sedan!) and it was an
inspiration to see them pull in.  Lots of really nice non-MG's too
including a perfectly restored XK120 DHC and four very nice Morgans.  There
was also and original 289 Cobra that was national champion in a national
racing class one year.  I know it was driven up because I watched it pull
in.  A few Triumphs even managed to drag themselves onto the show grounds
;-)

MMGG ran a touring rally up to the show so the drive up was just as
pleasant as the show with the rally masters choosing some very nice roads.
One a sadder note, there was an accident on the way there where what looked
like an old open Engish sedan (I am not sure what type) lost its steering
and ran into a tree off the road.  No one was hurt, as far as I could tell
but a small fire had broken out.  I did not have an extinguisher along so I
could not help but others who followed later said that help made it before
the car was obviously fire damaged.

Luckily, none of the really interesting cars were for sale so I can avoid
financial ruin for at least another week.  If the TF 1500 or the green over
black +8 had been available, however, I don't know if I could have
controled myself.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA which ran flawlessly, as always