Re: What have I done ?

To: bidgood.alan@ssd.loral.com
Subject: Re: What have I done ?
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 16:49:18 EDT
On Tue, 09 Sep 1997 10:35:18 -0700 Alan Bidgood
<bidgood.alan@ssd.loral.com> writes:
>Unusual subject: - HIGH OIL PRESSURE
>
>(I did post this earlier, but I'm not sure if it got through?)
>
>I have a 1978 MGB with all the Smog Stuff, the car only has
>about 67,000 miles on it and generally is in very good shape.
>
>It never has idled very smoothly, and so I decided to replace
>all the rubber tubes etc. related to the Smog equipment and the
>feeds to the charcoal cannisters, new oil filler cap, etc etc.
>
>I was pleased with my finished result, all the nice new tubing etc.
>The car didn't run any better, however what is concerning me is
>that now my oil pressure which has always been very acceptable,
>runs at about 75psi during average driving and idles at 50 -60psi.
>
>I am worried I might blow some seals etc.  - previously it ran at 75
>when cold and about 55 normal driving and idled at 25-30.
>
>What have I done??? - I always thought one day I'd be worried
>about 'low' oil pressure!
>
>Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
>
>                                     Thanks
>
>                                                             Alan B.'

 Alan,
  Your pressure reading are  about the same as mine (50-60 at idle - 75
at highway speeds. I've been at this level since about 1992 when I got
the car back on the road.
 In other words, no problems (at least in that area). Oil comsumption is
nominal, etc etc
 What I'm trying to figure out is how replacing the "smog" hoses caused
the oil pressure to rise.  Nothing there that should directly effect oil
pressure.

 I'm looking forward to some other replies that may have an answer
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget