Re: MGB steering rack

To: kelsey@value.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB steering rack
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 20:43:26 EDT
On Tue, 09 Sep 1997 16:37:35 -0700 Skip Kelsey <kelsey@value.net> writes:
>Bob:
>
>Your right. You have to pour it in under the shim cover. Take the
>appropriate stuff off, being careful not to lose the shims. Then get a
>long
>necked funnel, and pour the oil in. It holds about a pint. I jack up
>the
>car and turn the steering lock to lock to distribute the oil. Make
>sure
>that the rack seals are good before you do this.
>
>Cheers:

 Thanks for the encouragement.  I have the cover and the shims off.
There's a hole in the center of the "yoke, rack-support" through which I
can see the spring underneath. However, pouring in oil --well it doesn't
pour in, and I can't get it in with a syringe. It appears to me that the
yoke surrounds the spring for most or all of its length, and the
"pad-damper) then plugs the opening at the bottom of the yoke. I know the
rack isn't full, for I lifted the car on one side and poured in some oil
until it ran on the floor, but that wasn't 1/3 of a pint. That was after
I replaced the gaiters which were cracked, but not open to the elements.
There was precious little oil in them, though.
 I fear I'm going to have to remove the yoke. What does one use to
extract it?
Bob
 Who can now add the smell of garage floor skoodich and blood to the
aformentioned reek of hypoid 90