Re: Got the 'B' back!!

To: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Got the 'B' back!!
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:05:40 +0000
> Congratulations Scott!
>
> Keep me up to date on the overall performance as things get broken in.  I
> trust that you're not hammering the go-pedal quite yet.
>
> One note - everything I have heard recently warns against running the crank
> breather into the carb, seems that some of the oil blow-by will really gum
> up the works.  I have been told that a better way to go is to run a
> breather hose down into the airstream under the car.  FYI...
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Delling

Chris,
        No, I haven't put the "fast" pedal down just yet. I know that
everything hasn't settled in yet, becaue I'm getting little puffs of
smoke when I start the engine in the morning.  I'll probably give it
600 miles or so first.
        As for the breather tube, I was one of the ones advocating the
venturi method in the airstream under the car.  If I had known the
mechanic was going to replace the breather hose, I would have asked
him to route it under the car, but he did such a good job, and that
IS the original routing after all, that I'm going to leave it alone,
at least until I put the SUs back on the car.  After talking to
several other members on the list, one of which has a lot of
experience with two-cycle engines, I've realized that the small
amount of oil mist from the crankcase probably won't be a huge
problem.
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner