California interest only, SB42

To: British-cars@Autox.Team.Net, British-Cars-Pre-War@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: California interest only, SB42
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 09:49:40 -0400 (EDT)
This just in from Kopps office.  Quinton told me personally that he is
worried that the Govenor might veto the bill because the beaurcrats don't
like it.  We need to paper the Govenors office and we need to do it now.  The
Govenors fax number is 916 445 4633.  If anyone has an email address, please
post it.  Many thanks, Terry:

  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
        September 10, 1997
        Contact:        Kevin Nguyen
                (650) 301-1721

                      CLASSIC  CAR  BILL  HITS  OVERDRIVE

        SACRAMENTO--  Senator Quentin L. Kopp ( I-San Francisco/San
        Mateo) announced today that his Senate Bill 42, which would
        exempt from the biennial smog check requirement all vehicles 25
        or more model years old, passed the Assembly on September 9,
        1997 on a vote of 75-2.  The legislation now returns to the
        Senate for a final vote to concur in Assembly amendments.

             "It is extremely gratifying to have gained the overwhelming
        approval of the Assembly, while the passage serves as a
        testament to the tireless efforts of classic car owners
        throughout the state in support of SB 42," Kopp stated.  "I
        expect that the Senate will affirm its earlier unanimous support
        of the bill in the pending vote on concurrence in Assembly
        amendments," he added.

             Kopp described SB 42 as a simple measure which would
        provide a welcome measure of relief to owners of classic cars
        and similarly-aged vehicles.  Upon becoming effective January 1,
        1998, the bill would exempt all 1973 and older vehicles from the
        biennial and change of ownership smog check requirements.  Kopp
        said that the smog check exemption for such vehicles would
        address numerous concerns of vehicle owners, including that
        finding the original parts necessary to pass the visual and
        functional aspects of the test procedure had become daunting, if
        not impossible, in some cases, and cost prohibitive in many more
        instances.

             "Thousands and thousands of car enthusiasts have backed SB
        42 from its inception and their unrelenting work on behalf of
        the bill has kept the measure in the legislative fast lane,"
        Kopp remarked.  "The breadth and depth of support for SB 42 is
        unparalleled and I trust that the groundswell will be equally
        impressive to the Governor as he considers his action on the
        bill," he concluded.