New Mini

To: MGDIGEST <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New Mini
From: David Knowles <dknowles@uk.b-r.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 11:02:00 +0100
Philip <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk> wrote:

Subject: Re new mini

>>>I think the new Mini is a cop-out, as relevant to the 21st Century as the
new Beetle. Whatever happened to the radical Spiritual concept cars? It
looks hopelessly old-fashioned against the forward-thinking A-class and
Smart car. Issigonis wouldn't have approved.

Rover avoided retro styling and technology with the MGF and came up with
with a bang-up-to-date design which has changed the way we think about
sports cars. Why could'nt they have done the same with the Mini?

BTW I wonder what the chances are of a Midget based on the Mini?<<<

I wonder at the wisdom of showing this prototype three years ahead of
launch. It is already a pastiche of the old Mini - something which the
Japanese companies do all the time for their home market, often using
the Nissan Micra as a base. However, I think we've only been shown a
small part of the story - expect to see MiniSpyder, MiniVan, MiniRV,
MiniMPV, MiniCooper; even Mini4x4, many more radical than the one we've
seen.