clunk, clank, clink and other assorted sounds

Subject: clunk, clank, clink and other assorted sounds
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 97 00:59:10 UT
List,

Having just taken the C GT for a short drive I noticed certain clinks, clunks
and clanks.  As I'm much too lazy to actually read up on all these noises I
thought I'd run them by the list.

1. Clunk - in the front when stepping on the brakes.  I'm thinking it's either
the brakes or the wheel/spline.

2. Clank - when you let off the accelerator.  Also can be heard ever so
slightly if accelerating hard from a roll.  I'm thinking that this is either
the universal on the drive shaft, loose bits in the axle/differential,
wires/spline or possibly U-bolts although the car stays straight and does not
sway when accelerating/decelerating.

3. Clink - There is this clinking sound that seems to come from under the hood
(where the engine is).  It sounds like two pieces of metal tapping each other
when going over bumps - kind of a clinking sound.  I'm clueless as to the
cause and there does not seem to be any loose bits under there!  Could this be
a shock or some loose bit I'm not considering??

4. The top rattles when it is down and secured.  I have no idea what's causing
this but when the top is up the rattle goes away - it's very annoying!  (OK,
for those of you who actually comprehend what you read, this noise is
emanating from my C Roadster but I thought I'd put it in cause I was already
writing the post anyway!!!!)

Any suggestions to narrow down the possibilities?

Thanks for your help.

Dr. Doug

Three 69 MGs - clink, clank and clunk