Re: Silicone Brake Fluid

To: ckotting@iwaynet.net
Subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:05:51 EDT
On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:50:05 -0400 Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
writes:

>..... Changing to DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid is a good idea IF:
>.....[snip].....
>.....2)  Your brake light switch is actuated mechanically by the pedal,
rather than by hydraulic pressure.

>Changing to DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid is a bad idea if either of the
above conditions are false, because:
>.....[snip].....
2)   Sooner or later, a little bit of any brake fluid will make its way
inside a hydraulically actuated switch.  Silicone is a GREAT insulator.

I started using DOT 5 when I restored my car, having replaced the entire
hydraulic system at the time, including the switch.  Reasoning at the
time was that DOT 4 was really hard to find, but DOT 5 could be found in
the major parts stores.  I also liked the fact that DOT 5 doesn't eat
paint.

A few days ago I had to replace the switch after it quit working without
any advanced warning (worked perfectly the day before).  That switch only
lasted 11 years and 125,000 miles.  Should I be disappointed?

Other than that, the car is still wearing all the same cylinders, rubber
bits and hoses that were installed with the restoration, and they seem to
be in pretty good condition.  I do flush new silicone fluid through the
system at least every two years, same as for any other type of fluid.
This winter the car gets another mini-restoration, new paint and some of
the trim.  At that time I intend to repack the cylinders and replace the
hoses again, just on general principals.

I had considered switching back to DOT 4, primarily because it's cheaper
and much more available now.  But when it comes to the brakes, "cheap"
doesn't enter into the equation, and it's hard to knock success.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude